Summary of the Hui
We held a Teams Live event on Tuesday 23 May 2023, 10.30am-12.30pm.
The presenter was Heather McLeod, an actuary and academic whose work investigating palliative care data in Aotearoa for the Ministry of Health and Te Whatu Ora has informed policy and clinical directions since 2012.
This presentation and supporting resources are useful for those with an interest in how we plan, fund and provide palliative care services in Aotearoa.
Findings from updated studies of historical deaths and projections of deaths to 2043 and 2073 were shared including:
- The strategic challenges for palliative care
- Māori and non-Māori differences and the impact of deaths at older ages
- Updated national trends for place of death
- How place of death varies with condition and the need for palliative care
- The need for inpatient beds at the end of life
- New research on how place of death differs for urban and rural people
- A focus on regional trends and differences, with a tool to use for planning.
Planning for palliative care services in Aotearoa; what our population data tells us