On this page
The COVID-19 Testing Plan for Aotearoa New Zealand
COVID-19 testing is a key tool to help New Zealand recover from and live with COVID-19 and continues to be an essential part of the overall COVID-19 response strategy.
The COVID-19 Testing Plan is informed by COVID-19 Modelling Aotearoa, and what has happened overseas. It provides the framework to support decisions about when and who to test for COVID-19 in Aotearoa New Zealand.
The COVID-19 Testing Plan is structured in three sections:
- The Purpose of Testing (diagnostic, surveillance and asymptomatic screening)
- A Testing Response Framework (including testing advice under low, medium and high transmission)
- Settings Based Advice
The Testing Plan also includes seven appendices; each one is a guidance document focused on a particular health care setting.
View the Testing Plan and associated guidance
- Testing Plan for COVID-19 in Aotearoa New Zealand (in full) (PDF, 575KB)
- Table A1: Recommended Testing target groups by rate of transmission by setting (PDF, 93KB)
- Guidance: Hospitals & secondary based care facilities (PDF, 151KB)
- Guidance: Primary care and other clinic-based settings (PDF, 147KB)
- Guidance: Aged residential care and closed facilities (PDF, 96KB)
- Guidance: Community providers and disability sector (PDF, 115KB)
- Testing Guidance for Businesses (PDF, 57KB)
- Testing on arrival to Aotearoa New Zealand (PDF, 149KB)
- Testing technologies and modalities (PDF, 250KB)
To download any of these documents in both PDF and DOCX formats, visit this page: Testing Plan for COVID-19 in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Testing Operational Guidance for General Practice and Urgent Care
The Testing Guidance for General Practice and Urgent Care provides advice on who, why and when to test, specifically in a practice healthcare setting.
View the COVID-19 Testing Operational Guidance for General Practice and Urgent Care
To download this document in both PDF and DOCX formats, visit this page: COVID-19 Testing Operational Guidance for General Practice and Urgent Care