On this page
About the Hospital events web tool
This web tool provides information and statistics on publicly funded and privately funded hospitalisation data.
The web tool will be updated annually.
This publication allows you to examine summarised data through interactive visualisations and understand hospital discharges and procedures in relation to demographics in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Also provided in this web tool are detailed diagnoses and procedure tables for the latest year of data available.
Hospital events web tool
Publicly funded hospitalisations
- More than 1.2 million hospital discharges and more than 1.5 million procedures were reported during 2019/20.
- There were 210 hospital discharges per 1000 people (age-standardised) in 2019/20, compared to 225 per 1000 in 2012/13.
- There were 260 procedures per 1000 people (age-standardised) in 2019/20, compared to 314 per 1000 in 2012/13.
- Across all ethnic groups, females had consistently higher hospitalisation rates than males from 2012/13 to 2019/20.
- One in three hospitalisations were for people aged 65 years and over in 2019/20.
Privately funded hospitalisations
- More than 117,500 hospital discharges and more than 256,000 procedures were reported in 2019/20.
- There were 19 hospital discharges per 1000 people (age-standardised) in 2019/20.
- There were 42 procedures per 1000 people (age-standardised) in 2019/20.
- More than one third of all male hospitalisations and more than one quarter of all female hospitalisations were for those aged 65 years and over in 2019/20.
This web tool presents data to the latest year for which data is available for publication.
We have quality checked the collection, extraction, and reporting of the data presented here. However, errors can occur.
Contact us through the Data Services team at Te Whatu Ora if you have any concerns regarding any of the data or analyses presented here.
We make no warranty, expressed or implied, nor assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, correctness or use of the information or data in this tool.
Hospital events data and stats (goes to another website)Statistical publications and data sets on hospital events.
Privately funded hospital discharges - series (goes to another website)This annual statistical data contains national data in tabular form, detailing the numbers of privately funded patients discharged from, and procedures carried out in both public and private hospitals.
Publicly funded hospital discharges - series (goes to another website)This annual statistical information contains national data in tabular form, detailing the numbers of publicly funded patients discharged, diagnoses and numbers of procedures carried out in both public and private hospitals.
National Minimum Dataset (hospital events) (goes to another website)The National Minimum Dataset (NMDS) is a national collection of public and private hospital discharge information, including coded clinical data for inpatients and day patients.