The Health Navigator website provides one place for New Zealanders to find reliable and trustworthy health information and self-care resources. It is a non-profit community initiative combining the efforts of a wide range of partner and supporter organisations, and is overseen by the Health Navigator Charitable Trust.
Here you can find links to health conditions, medicines, healthy living advice, apps, videos, resources in different languages, where to get support, information for clinicians and more.
Get the facts you need
Call Healthline free:
The Healthline service has operated in Aotearoa for more than 20 years.
Information on the Health Navigator website is produced and maintained by a team with expertise in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, nutrition, psychology, laboratory technology, human physiology, writing, editing, communications and information technology development.
Additional support and expertise is provided by a range of topic experts and clinical advisors who assist with identifying the best resources for a New Zealand audience.
If you or your whānau are unwell
- Call your family doctor – for advice or information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Call Healthline free on 0800 611 116:
- if you don’t have a family doctor
- if you’re feeling unwell but you’re not sure if you need to see a doctor
- for advice about what’s happening for you and next steps
- if you want some advice about a family member or a friend who’s sick (if you are with them)
- if you want advice on finding services near you - you can also check www.healthpoint.co.nz.
If it’s a medical emergency – call 111.
- A medical emergency includes chest pain or tightness, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding or bleeding that won’t stop, sudden weakness or difficulty talking, fainting or unconsciousness.
Good things to know about Healthline
- The Healthline team are specialists in assessing and advising over the phone.
- They can arrange to talk with you in your language - when your call is answered, say you'd like an interpreter and the language you’d like to speak in.
- They can also engage with the NZ Relay Services and support you if you are Deaf, hearing impaired, Deafblind or speech impaired. Note that NZ Relay Services are only available for limited hours.
- Phone calls are free – including from a mobile phone.
- You can call anytime 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.